What's my job?
The Treasurer will disburse funds contributed to the church in a responsible and timely manner, with funds identified and bills paid when due, as directed by the church council for the ministry of your congregation.
United Methodist Book of Discipline (2008) requires a church to remit monthly all World Service and conference benevolence funds on hand to the conference Treasurer. Gifts for benevolences may not be used for any cause other than that for which they have been given. The Treasurer shall be adequately bonded. (¶258.4.b)
What does the Treasurer do?
- The Treasurer disburses all money contributed to the local church budget, keeping accurate records of how money is spent.
- This leader manages disbursement of funds according to the guidelines established by the committee on finance for total fiduciary responsibility. This includes maintaining compliance with all disciplinary requirements and applicable governmental tax guidelines.
- The Treasurer works with the Financial Secretary to check the records, quarterly, and keeps records in good order for an annual audit.
- This leader works with the Financial Secretary and chair of the committee on finance to make regular financial reports to the committee on finance, church council, and the charge conference.
- The Treasurer must engage in spiritual practices that build a relationship of attentiveness to God's will and direction. Financial management and attentiveness to daily administration can detract leader's attention from the mission of the church to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
What's my job?
An effective financial secretary will receive, record, and deposit all funds received by your congregation in a timely, thorough and confidential manner. The financial secretary will work with the treasurer and committee on finance to develop policies and procedures so that funds can be made available to support the ministry of your congregation.
The roles of financial secretary and treasurer should not be combined and held by one person, and the persons holding these two positions shall not be immediate family members. United Methodist Book of Discipline, 2008 ¶258.4.
What does the Financial Secretary do?
- The financial secretary works according to the guidelines established by the committee on finance to receive funds from whatever source including through the mail and by electronic deposit, record them, and report them to the church treasurer and the committee on finance.
- The financial secretary deposits money in a bank as soon as possible after it is received.
- The financial secretary keeps records, whenever possible, of how much money is given by whom and report amounts received to the appropriate people.
- The financial secretary checks the records, quarterly, against those of the treasurer and keeps records in good order for an annual audit.
- The financial secretary arranges for collecting offerings received during worship services and other church gatherings at the conclusion of these events, making certain that more than one person is involved in collecting and counting the money.
- The financial secretary must engage in spiritual practices that build a relationship of attentiveness to God's will and direction. Financial management and attentiveness to daily administration can detract leader's attention from the mission of the church to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
What's my job?
An effective finance team proposes a budget, then raises, manages, and distributes the financial resources to support and strengthen the mission and ministry of the congregation.
The committee is comprised of a chairperson, the pastor, lay member of annual conference, chairperson of the church council, chairperson or representative of the staff-parish committee, a representative of the trustees, the lay leader, the financial secretary, the treasurer and others determined by the charge conference. The positions of church treasurer and financial secretary should not be combined, nor should they be members of the same family (The United Methodist Book of Discipline, 2008, ¶258.4)
- Compile a complete annual budget for supporting the mission and vision of the local church and submit the budget to the church leadership team for review and adoption. Through the year, the finance team recommends any changes to the approved annual budget to the church leadership team.
- Develop and carry out plans to raise income to support the approved budget.
- The finance team needs to engage in spiritual practices that build a relationship of attentiveness to God’s will and direction. Financial management and daily administration can shift any leader’s attention away from the purpose of the church to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- Recommend proper depositories for church funds; carry out the church leadership team’s directions about administration and disbursement of funds; and follow procedures for the church treasurer and the financial secretary. Arrange for an annual audit of financial records.
Sunday Morning Worship
Church Hill UMC: 10:00
Sunday School: 9:00
Reedsville UMC: 8:30
Sunday School: 9:45
Milroy UMC: 11:15
Sunday School 10:00
Communion is served the first Sunday of each month.
199 Woodland Circle
Reedsville, PA 17084
717 667 9847
91 S Main Street
Milroy, PA 17063
United Methodist Connection
We are a part of the United Methodist Church that has over 17 million members all over the world.
We are within the Susquehanna Confernece that spans central Pennsylvania from New York to the Maryland border.
We are located in the State College District that covers Lock Haven to Clearfield and Renovo to Mifflintown.
We are a single parish of two churches located in Reedsville, one of the quiet suburbs between State College and Lewistown.